Meet Director of Instruction, Coach Blake Testerman:
Blake was a part of Genesis Golf from the very start, as a part-time teaching instructor. He has imparted on golfers of all ages here and is vested into the growth and love for the game. What makes Blake tick, is his ability to help golfers. So, he is now taking a further step and is joining Genesis Golf as a partner in leading our instruction and daily operations.
Many don’t realize that Blake is a local guy, born and raises right here in the South Eastern School District. He and his family are very community oriented and Blake played many years ago on the Kennard-Dale High School golf team as a freshman! After high school, Blake headed south to Keiser University in West Palm Beach, FL. He graduated with an Associate Science degree with a Concentration in Professional Golf Management. Blake had the privilege of studying under 2 Golf Digest Top 100 Instructors (Dr. TJ Tomasi and John Callahan). Both of which have worked with players of every ability level from beginner to professional.
Upon returning home, he started his industry journey at Hayfields Country Club in Hunt Valley, MD. He worked with Golfsmith as well and then landed at Royal Manchester Golf Links and then later at Lancaster Country Club. He just left Lancaster CC in October to join Kim in serving golfers and the community in which he lives.
Blake is a firm believer in proper fundamentals and how good fundamental relate to good outcomes. His passion for teaching the game of golf far outweighs his passion for playing the game or working at a golf shop. This is evident in his ability to effectively communicate in a variety of ways to a student, so that the concept is understand and can be applied. Club fitting is also something that I really enjoy because it really allows my “golf nerd” side to shine. I am a Mitchell Certified Club Fitter & Technician.
Outside of teaching, Blake enjoy his Pittsburgh team sport, playing music, trips to the shooting range and lawncare and landscaping.
I base my instruction around one simple motto: “Progress, Not Perfection!” It doesn’t matter to me your ability, age or golf background. If you show a passion to want to learn, then I want to help you get there.
What to expect from me as an instructor:
- To go along with my motto of “Progress Not Perfection,” you can expect your lessons to be simple, but effective without throwing too many adjustments at you at one time. I will take what you have and look at where you want to go in terms of your golf game and make a plan to best get you there.
- Each lesson will focus on a what we determine is your current barrier to better playing. I’ll work with you during that time to break through that obstacle, leaving you feeling accomplished, positive and excited. You will never do anything perfect all the time, so my goal is to help you progress little by little until you get where you want to be.
- I am strong believer in having correct and solid fundamentals (grip, aim, stance/setup, swing positions). Without a good foundation, you’ll never be able to reach the level you want to get to.
- When it comes to lessons, it is your time. You’re taking lessons because you want to learn, and I want to help you learn the most you can. I let my students tell me what they want to learn or improve upon, so that they feel their hard-earned money is getting its worth.
- I like to have fun! Without some fun the lesson process can be quite a bore and not beneficial for the student. I like to provide a very open environment that allows both the student and teacher to establish a personal relationship with each other.